I am. But like most of the society, introverts are often misunderstood. Based on my experience, books, articles and talks about introversion, here is a quick guide to understanding who/”what” we are:
- Introversion is not a mental/emotional disorder. I think the proper term would be “personality”.
- We are not shy; we don’t have low self esteem/confidence or lack of social skills.We just want our own little space.
- We don’t want to be alone. We want to be left alone.
- Being around many people drains our energy.
- and We need enough time to recover from a social encounter/event
- We are not anti-social. We just don’t do small talks. We can be sociable but we prefer not to (Again, it drains our energy)
- We prefer one-on-one conversations than group
- We enjoy “me time” to explore our feelings and thoughts. No distractions.
- We are not depressed or suicidal.
- We don’t say much or compliment people (see: small talk) but we can be a good judge of character by observing (the human species. haha!)
- Yes, introverts are very observant.
- Introverts are listeners than talkers
- Prefers text/chat over phone calls (Thank you, voicemail!)
- Enjoys company of family and close friends
- Doesn’t care about wealth, fame or social status
Share your ideas!